SERVICE LEARNING HOURS ARE REQUIRED FOR GRADUATION!
Service Learning is an opportunity for you to volunteer your time to help others or to perform tasks that
will benefit the community. You will improve your community through the hands-on service you provide,
while also enriching your skills associated with teamwork, community involvement, self-reflection, and
citizenship. Your civic involvement will help develop you as a contributing citizen and allow the public
to see youth as a respected resource in our community.
Service Learning hours can be acquired any time you give of yourself to others (excluding immediate
family) but do not receive compensation. Examples include helping an elderly acquaintance, raking
leaves in your neighborhood, babysitting for a family friend (for free!), or volunteering at a local
Your time, energy, and effort can truly make a difference in our community and at Portage High School!
Thank you for taking part in this experience.
- DO something good for your community and yourself
- TRY something different and step out of your comfort zone
- SHOW the community the good that can come from today's youth
- LEARN a great deal about yourself and your community
- SHARE yourself, your views, your beliefs, with others
- MAKE a difference
SERVICE LEARNING GRADUATION REQUIREMENT SUMMARY:
- Students must complete a minimum of 10 hours of service per academic year in order to graduate,
beginning with the class of 2019.
- The Service Learning Hours Log Sheet must be submitted to your Tribe Time mentor teacher by
May 15th each year.
- You will be representing Portage High School to our local community. Please conduct yourself in
a mature, respectful manner.